Welcome to the EngageU Awards website! Here you can find details about the "European Competition for Best Innovations in University Outreach and Public Engagement" organized in early 2012 by the the Oxford Internet Institute (University of Oxford) as part of the EC-funded Ulab project.
We received over 100 excellent submissions, demonstrating a wide range of interesting and important public engagement practices across Europe. The competition winners were announced on 24 April 2012.
We are very pleased to announce that the three competition winners are:
- Active Science – Young people engaged in science (encouraging deliberative democracy by engaging young people in current scientific and technological issues - Agora Scienza, Centro Interuniversitario, ITALY)
- Centre of the Cell (the first science education centre in the world to be located within biomedical research laboratories - Queen Mary, University of London, UK)
- Sons de Barcelona (Sounds of Barcelona) (working with environmental sounds to foster interest in music technologies through creative workshops - Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, SPAIN)
The three winning entries will each receive a 5000 EUR prize for their institution plus funding for a representative to attend an awards ceremony at the University of Oxford on 8 June 2012.
Recognition of Distinction
Due to the very high number of high quality entries, three other projects have been selected for Recognition of Distinction. They are:
- Seeking perfection: Young People Exploring Enhancement with Researchers (exploring human enhancement using creative approaches - University of Manchester, Nowgen, Contact Theatre and the Manchester Science Festival, UK)
- Maths busking (showing the public the surprising and fascinating side of mathematics through the medium of street performance - UK)
- Staging Files - a Public History Project at the University of Bremen (history and theatre projects at the University of Bremen dealing with controversial topics of Bremen’s history - University of Bremen, GERMANY)
Ulab is an innovative think-tank of five leading Technical and Research-intensive European Universities: Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Politecnico di Torino, Technische Universität München, Paris Institute of Technology, and the University of Oxford. It is a two-year project funded by the EC to inform our understanding of how universities can best develop policies to build the University of Tomorrow.