Description of the project
The project uniovi2masd.com is a communication medium, a television channel on the Internet which is a tool to spread research activities, knowledge and scientific outcomes of the University of Oviedo. It results from the collaboration between the University and enterprises within the framework of another project led by RED.ES and the National Confederation of Spanish Universities in order to promote and develop the digital content industry.
Besides it is an instrument to disseminate knowledge, to foster contact and to encourage synergies among different agents within the University and companies and with the aim to bring scientific and technological knowledge closer to the society.
Summary of the project
From the beginning the University of Oviedo and partner companies collaborate in developing some aspects to improve the dissemination of messages, understanding that its content has a digital nature. We have analysed the medium (the Internet), the format (video, text, picture), its impact and its orientation to the target audience (web 2.0, social web) and technology (protocols, gadgets, software, storage and access to information). The project aims at bringing to society the knowledge that the University (lecturers and researchers) creates and facilitating synergies between those who send the message and the receivers, that is, between the University and the Society, and between the University and companies.
The project involves all departments and faculties of the University of Oviedo horizontally and it spreads to partner companies or project partners, offering this uniovi2masd as a tool to promote their research or inviting them to take part in its implementation.
It is an outstanding feature the direct implication of the Vice-Office of Science and Technology of the Principality of Asturias from the initial steps of the project. They co-funded and provided firm support to the initiative.
The short-term outcomes, together with setting up the channel uniovi2masd.com, entail the development of a technology that the University and companies begin to transfer to their partners and clients.
The University is currently working on new television channels to make contents more general:
• Science Week or “Semana de la Ciencia” (semanaciencia.uniovi2masd.com)
• Statute of University Students or “Estatuto del Estudiante Universitario” (estatutoestudiante.uniovi2masd.com)
• Spanish-American Forum of interactive digital television or “Foro Iberoamericano de televisión digital interactive” (www.uniovi2masd.org/index.php)
• Dissemination of Vocational Training projects on audiovisual programs (www.televisionfp.tv/)
Apart from this, we are also introducing new developments and techniques to spread knowledge. The channel uniovi2masd.com has live broadcast the following conferences:
• “With Science in Energy” or “Con ciencia en la energía” (promoted by the Cluster on Energy of the University of Oviedo and the company Hidroeléctrica del Cantábrico)
• NAMOBICA (Organised by the Cluster on Biomedicine)
• Patents: everything researchers should know (Promoted by the Cluster on Biomedicine)
Academic events such as those related to the Prince of Asturias Awards or the Honoris Causa Ceremony for José Cosmen Adelaide (ALSA) have been also broadcast. Moreover, local, national and international media got the uniovi2masd.com signal to use it to display these programmes.